You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Saturday, September 26, 2009
TOBY
Long ago, in the land of Dyersburg, TN, my parents decided to get a new dog. They drove to some little trailer outside of Memphis, TN and found a little red haired dachshund that they brought home. I remember being so excited about that sweet dog. He had so much energy and would bound around the house. Dachshunds have bad reputations which old Toby lived up to. He was snappy when he didn't like you. He only bit his family members and vets. He would never bite a stranger. He was my little buddy through high school. He would sneak in my room and burrow down under the covers every night with me. When I came home from college he never forgot me. He would run up to me so happy I was home! When I got married all my friends from high school came into my parents house and screamed, "TOBY!" just because he was such a huge memory to them too! Then we got Riley and she met Toby. He was getting old by then and he didn't much care. I brought two babies to my mom's house and old Toby was just fine with that too. He always looked at me through the same eyes as if to say, "I'm glad you're back, Katie." He never forgot me although you would think a dog would. He was mean and nasty that dog. He was grumpy in his old age. But he loved me. He loved my mom. He was a friend and companion to each of us. He passed away yesterday. 15 years with a dog....they are your family, no matter if you have grown up, moved out, had your own kids and your own dog. We'll miss you sweet Toby. You'll always have a special place in my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment