Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Any old day...

It is funny how the older you get the less your birthday means. Your children's birthday's become these huge celebrations and yours is kind of pushed away. It is birthday season around here lately!! Kennedy has been to a million birthday parties lately and today she helped to celebrate Drew's big 3rd birthday! We walked in Michelle's this morning and she goes over to Drew, hugs him, gives him a kiss, and sweetly says, "Happy Birthday ,Drew!" Gosh, it melted my heart. When it's your own birthday it is memories of so many things. Fun parties, big milestones, but not things that I get nostalgic about. I don't long to go back to that pink birthday party I had when I was three. With my kids, their birthdays bring back a flood of memories. I remember the first time I ever saw their faces, the first time I heard them cry, the first time our families met them, the first time we ever sang them happy birthday, and on and on.... Every year, I think...has it been another year?!!! I remember the moment Drew met Kennedy. They had no clue but it had so much meaning to us. I hoped that they would love each other. I had nothing to worry about on that. She loves him with her whole heart. So, as my birthday approaches, I am not going to push it away. I am going to spend it with my favorite people on earth, my sweet precious family. I'm learning that my birthday might should be celebrated by my mom and not me. I should probably be buying her a present. I never thought about what it was to her because it is MY birthday you know. So, mom, as you think back where you were 30 something...he...he...ok, ok, 31 years ago, know that this year I have a new knowledge. I know what you do each year on my birthday. I know why you tell me the same story about my big bottom over and over. I know how much that day means to you. It was our first day together. 31 years.....goodness gracious! You must be old to have a daughter that old!! It only took me 31 years to understand ,but now I do. I love you. I'm your Kennedy and my goodness that is pretty stinking awesome if you ask me.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I am without words. How dear you are to me.