I am so proud of you dad. Praying tomorrow brings you breathing on your own and maybe we can have our first chat. Thumbs up!!
You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Saturday, September 14, 2013
The best Tennessee game EVER
Dad was starting to wake up a little. I usually go and pat his hand and talk to him a little. He opened his eyes so I began to talk to him. I told him he was in te hospital like I always say. Then i said "today is Saturday dad, you are missing some good football." And do you know what my father, on a ventilator and heavy meds did? He looked at me, looked around the room and pointed to the TV! I asked if he wanted to watch football am I get a nod. I turn on Tennessee vs Oregon and he seems happy but is trying to tell me something. I ask if he wants his glasses... Again big nod. So there we sit, my father and I, watching the team I grew up watching with him, in this hospital room that I said goodbye to him just days ago in, with a ventilator helping him breathe, and it was my most favorite Tennessee game ever. Oregon was killing them. Dad did lots of thumbs up and an occasional flipping off oregon( which is so dad's personality, if he could talk it would have bee yelling). We only made it to half time before he was asleep again, but that moment, those moments, were a living miracle in progress. I like to think I have witnessed miracles, but to see one take place is the most amazing thing. The fact he can communicate with us is a miracle. He wanted to write us a note and he told us that he wanted us to move him to Jacksonville. I think he realized the severity of his situation but we reassured him we knew what we were doing. I sure hope he understands, but the fact that he was bossing us around while he is intubated is again a strong characteristic of my father. He is strong willed. It is why he is still here. He is a fighter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
One of your most beautiful blog posts...
Post a Comment