Sunday, December 19, 2010

A MAGICAL MOMENT

You have those weeks when you think you might not make it you have so much to do! This week, I have taught wild and crazy sixth graders, prepped for a party, changed the party location after calling a million places, made 11 fancy bows, called a million parents to tell them the party was changed, hosted a birthday party, and threw in her first recital to end the weekend. I did not have time to be at work this week. I am exhausted. Actually, exhausted doesn't quite cut it. Then the recital prep began........and I got my second wind.


If you grew up with me, you know I danced. It was a huge part of my childhood. I think I started when I was 2 and went all the way into high school, where I decided cheerleading was much more important. It was just something I loved. I still adore the sound of pointe shoes on a stage. I always wanted a little girl. Then came Kennedy. She was girly from the start. I waited a year to start her in dance. She could have gone last year, but I thought it would be better to start at 3. I didn't want to rush her into something that I loved just because I loved it. She loved it from the moment she set foot in the dance studio this summer. I, of course, was overjoyed that my daughter loved it. Which leads me to today.......

We actually go her hair in a bun. I dolled her up in make-up. I have never put real make up on her. She looked beautiful. I kept saying, "She is beautiful!" I have never seen her look so grown up! I think it was the combo of her up-do and the make up. She's just beautiful....















Then the recital started. I starting thinking about all those times I sat behind a stage waiting on the curtain to go up. I loved it so much. Then my daughter, my precious 3 year old, walked proudly onto the stage. Her head was held high and she had a huge smile on her face. Then the music started. She danced her heart out. She did it like she had been on stage her whole life. She sang and danced. She smiled and blew kisses. I tried to soak in the moment. I guess it is what a dad feels like when their son makes the winning touchdown. This was my moment for her. It was her shining moment, but for me it was so much more. It was truly one of my dreams come true. So sappy, I know, but for me, to see my daughter shine, in front of so many people, doing something that I love so very much, made me so incredibly proud. And so, as she danced and sparkled, I wept. I wept like a baby while trying to take pictures. I wept like I would at her graduation. She doesn't get it. Greg doesn't get it. My mom does though. All those times she sat in the audience and let me have my moment, I know now how proud she was. That was me today. What a precious gift she is, my Kennedy. She sparkled and shined, just like I know the person that she is. I am proud and happy today. I am exhausted. I am happily exhausted. What a magical moment............









































1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I am weeping after that post...I got credit for something wonderful in your life...a miracle..thank you...oh...and your daughter....lovely....