You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Friday, July 16, 2010
The Night Before....
I did not know how much birthdays meant to parents before I had kids. I thought they were about me. :) I didn't know each birthday that passed my parents thought about each and every year they had spent with me. That they thought about each birthday, each moment....I get it now. It's about the sweet baby that you are watching grow up. It's to celebrate them. It's a day that they get to feel like the most special person in the whole world. I hope my kids always feel like that on their birthdays. They are the most special things in the whole world to me. I can't help but remincse on birthdays. I look at my son so often and am reminded of God's amazing blessings. I watch my children play together (or fight which is the norm around here lately) and I can't help but be reminded of my lonely years. I worried I would never be able to have one baby. God must have been really nice in throwing Whit in there as a bonus really fast. I think He knew I didn't need to go through all that again. I hadn't even begun the worry that Kennedy would be an only child. It was in the back of my mind worry, but I never had to think about it. Before I knew it I was holding my SON in my arms. Ahhhh....a little boy. I wept when I found out Whit was a boy. I didn't even know I wanted a boy. The moment he first looked into my eyes I was hooked. He has a way about him, this little boy. If you hang out with him too long he might steal your heart. I can't explain it. I loved the way he looked at me as an infant. Then he began to talk and tell us how he feels. Now I hear, "Mommy, lub you." Oh, my Whit, Mommy lub you too. So, tomorrow, the Happy Birthday song will be sung again. It's my 5th time to sing it to my children on their birthdays. 5 sweet birthdays for my sweet babies I thought I would never have. I have said before how much that song means to me know. If you pay close attention to me at the party I'll be the one with tears in my eyes. Yes, I cry every year. Those tears are not sadness, but are pure joy. Joy of another year I got to watch my babies grow. Joy of a mother who is so very thankful to be just that...a mother. Whit, mommy is so very proud of you. I am blessed to be your mommy. Happy 2nd birthday to you tomorrow, my sweet boy! You are growing up WAY too fast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment