Friday, October 23, 2009

Father may I....

Fair warning...I am about to get sappy. It has been a while since I have been inspirational so I thought it was about time. I cried this morning when I watched the news about a child in Savannah that died of the flu. She was four. She woke up one morning with flu like symptoms and the next day she passed away. It really made my stomach sick. I thought about how many mornings we wake up around here and someone has an unexpected fever. My first thought is oh no....another day off for one of us and we need to save our days! Never in my wildest dreams do I think I would be losing one of them. It just put me in my place. Tonight Kennedy is off with Greg at his beloved high school football game. I think it is silly and the two of them love it. Whit and I had a nice trip to Hobby Lobby and Walgreens. He laughed hysterically at everyone and waved bye bye to everyone in the entire store. I made an attempt to rock him tonight, just because, and he thought that was hilarious as well. He hasn't let me rock him since he was like 3 months old. :) So off we went to his room where I always turn off the lights and sway him a little to settle him down. He plays with my hair and snuggles me. It is one of my most favorite moments in life. Just a pure moment....and this is where my head went....

Father, I pray that I hear these breaths of my children until I have no more. I pray that they live long and happy lives. May I never forget the feel of my son's face against mine, the way his tiny little hands rub my back when he is tired or just loving on his MaMa. May I never forget the sweetness that comes when he takes my hair in those little bitty hands and smiles up at me. All 22 lbs of this little boy will one day become a man. And I hope as his face is against mine I will always remember how he feels today. That sweetness, that innocence, that joy that he brings, the love that he gives. I am his first love. I know there will be many others as he grows. But I hope that he knows his MaMa's love for him. These children you have given me will grow. It is happening all too fast if you ask me. I hope that I am in some way deserving of these two. Kennedy said today, "One day, I will be married in a beautiful pink dress." I know someday she will (maybe not in the pink dress!). I thought I waited an eternity to have these children. It feels like no time when I look back. May I enjoy them each day that passes. I am undeserving for my blessings, but I'll take them. I am so thankful I cannot even express how much. May these two always know what true miracles they are and how this MaMa is forever grateful to the God who blessed my home. AMEN.

And then I cried. Hug your babies extra tight. Love each moment you have with them. One day they will be all grown up and blogging about their extreme happiness and you won't know where time went. At least that is how I am sure old MeMe feels about now. I love you Mom. :)

2 comments:

Kasey said...

sniff, sniff, sniff.... I should have known when you started off with the warning! I pray that same prayer every night, "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this baby; please help me to never forget this day". I've started crying tears of joy when I put Thomas to bed. He has gotten a little too social to be rocked too. When he does let me though, We rock an hour.

Thanks for this!

Phyllis said...

Ok, you are a talented writer. I wonder where you get that? You are a wonderful wife and mother. I wonder where you get that? You have beautiful children. I wonder where they get their cuteness? You are drop dead darling. Where did you get that? You picked a great guy. Where did you get your taste? Your house is decorated like a pro did it. I wonder where you got that talent? You are an awesome teacher. I wonder where you got that work ethic? You are compassionate to animals and friends. I wonder where you get that love of animals? You are civic minded. I wonder who taught you to be like that? You appreciate art and music. How did you get that love? You love books and all things old. Who instilled in you that love? You swim like a fish and dance like a buttercup. Who took you to all those lessons? You laugh at yourself. Who taught you that?
I will always love you. You are a fruit of our labor.
Your never gets her due credit for anything and doesn't care, Mom