Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Survival :)

We got up around 4:30 AM today and were out the door in the 30 degree weather to take our sweet baby to Savannah for surgery. It is hands down my hardest moment as a parent. I am good about helping with shots and things like that with my kids when I know it is for the best. I know it will be over fast and I can love on them. This was so different. I had to willingly give my child over to a room full of people knowing they would be causing him pain. WOW. I do love our ENT and he was wonderful with Whit. The ENT surgical center is not in a hospital which was nice because we got to be in the back a lot. I got to go back to the operating room and hold him while they put him to sleep. I NEVER want to see that again. Watching my baby go limp in my arms.....I think I was filled with some super human power because not a tear fell from my eyes. If you know me at all you know I am a cryer. I needed to be strong for my baby and God gave me that strength today. I totally would have lost it. But instead, I held him, kissed his sweet face, prayed over him one more time and the room full of hands that were on him and had to walk away. Pause here because this was big for me. It was a quick surgery and the next thing I knew the doctor was talking with us and he was fine! He still had fluid in each ear (one had really thick fluid) and his adenoids were really swollen. We even got to see a piece of it. Interesting....:) This made me feel better about our decision. I know it was a good one. Then we go back to my baby, being rocking in a nurses arms. He immediately reached for me and settled down a little when I talked to him. They said, "You have a feisty little one. He is strong willed! He told us when he didn't like something!" Yes, yes, he is. He spent the next hour in recovery yelling NO and Uh Uh at each nurse that came by. I left covered in throw up ( the sign of a good mom) with a tired baby. He slept all the way home and is currently fast asleep again. He is pitiful today. I have just held him and loved on him as much as I can. Today was a hard day. It wasn't one of those joyful mommy days, but it was a day I am again thankful. I'm thankful for such a group of wonderful friends and family that have prayed and prayed for my baby. I'm thankful for a wonderful doctor and staff that took such good care of my baby. I'm thankful for a successful surgery. I look forward to a happy and healthy baby from all of this.

Aaaahhhhh......we all survived. :)

3 comments:

Denise said...

(((Katie))). Derek had tubes at ages 2 and 4. First time was an overnight stay. I held up fine, got him home and our Sunday School class was bringing over dinner. The first gal there was a gal that I worked with. Derek was feeling so good that he went home with her! After that I fell apart.

Michelle said...

Tears in my eyes for you - - I'm very proud of you!

Sarah said...

I'm sitting here crying drinking my coffee. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to hold him while he fell asleep like that. Wow.... here's to better health for baby Whit now that his ears should be draining better!