Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Big Decisions

Gosh, it is hard being a grown up. We took Whit to the ENT today after so many ear infections I have lost count. I think we are up to 5 now. He gets a cold and gets an ear infection. We met with a wonderful doctor in Savannah and I immediately felt better as he talked. He gave me a lot of scenarios of choices and what he thought would be best for him. He also told me to stick my fingers in my ears and listen to him to see how Whit is currently hearing most of the time due to all of the fluid in his ears. Try it, it will make you want to get him tubes! He passed his hearing test which was wonderful. After lots of talking, a nice informative video, a hearing test, and more talking with the doctor we settled on tubes as well as having his adenoids removed. I was totally ok with all of it until they said, "We need to schedule the surgery." SURGERY?!! I was referring to it as tubes....sounds easier that way. I also got to see how tiny they actually are and that lowered my freakoutness. So, after Christmas, I will hand my baby over to hands I am praying for already, to hopefully get him on the road to recovery. I dread those long 20 minutes but I do realize that God's hands are on the choices I am making for these children. I only want the best for them. Gosh, it is really, really hard being a grown up.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Katie, Derek started having some hearing loss and had his first set of tubes at two years of age, second set at four. He had tiny blue tubes. I had a stapendectomy on my right ear that failed and I am deaf in that ear. I can't localize sounds and the ONLY advantage is that I can sleep on my left side and hear absolutely nothing! Hugs to you as having a child go through any surgery is scary.