Thursday, April 9, 2009

Giving up His son

I am in a thankful mood today. This week has been a whirlwind to say the least. We went to a memorial for our friend's baby yesterday. It was my second time to watch a parent bury their child and I hope and pray it is my last. The service was beautiful. You could feel the presence of God in that place. As they drove away to the graveside everyone in the church just stood in silence. That meant something huge to me. She was so little, so tiny and her life was so short but as I looked around I saw her impact. She touched more lives than her parents will ever know. She was a gift to us as she was to them. Easter is always filled with so many activities when you have kids. You go to the egg hunts, shop for their baskets and buy the perfect new outfits. (nice matching ones in my case) But do we really truly reflect on what Easter is? Having children makes me realize even more what God did for us. He gave His son for me. Would I give up Whit? Or Kennedy? I cannot even imagine. My children are my heart and soul and I could not imagine life without them. Watching our friends grieve the loss of their child makes me see even more meaning this Easter. Christ died for us. God gave His son for us. It's our job to make the most of this life. We are to take what He has given us and make a difference. So this Easter I have a new outlook on things. I will mourn the death of Christ this Good Friday. And I will celebrate with even more joy His resurrection. Because of that we have eternal life. Because of that little Ella Faith is safe in the arms of our Lord. Because of that we have hope and faith. That is the greatest gift of all.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Well said, Katie... What a way to capture the loss and joy of Easter. Now that I have a child, I always think about what Mary must have gone through, seeing her child in such pain, and yet still having faith in his larger purpose.

My heart breaks for Sommer and her family... The wound will always be there, but hopefully time will bring them some peace.

Sarah said...

Amen, my sweet friend. Amen.

Haylee said...

beautiful...just beautiful!