You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Ode to the nomads
I must first define my term nomad. One might look it up in the dictionary and find the definition saying something like, "people who move from place to place with no permanant home." I do not define it in this way. I will use the term nomad here to define the ones in my life that I have seen go place to place in search of their dreams. I was talking to Liza the other day and she mentioned something about where life was going to take her. I have this conversation with many people in my life. I often wonder how I can even relate to each of my friends stuggling with the same question. I watch them travel the world and it doesn't even phase me. Who else has a best friend that calls and says that she is moving to China and doesn't even bat an eye and says, "I was waiting on you to say that." It was just normal. I watched my dear lifelong friend move from college to college to college to college (did I say enough colleges? correct me if I am wrong) and then finally find the perfect place for her. I often go back to the song by the Dixie Chicks, Taking the long way, I will now try to quote it a bit please ignore that it doesn't go exactly as the song is sang, " I hit the highway in my pink rv with stars on the ceiling, live like a gypsy, its been a long time gone now, maybe someday I'm gonna settle down, I always find my way somehow taking the long way." I dedicated it to Courtney last summer because when I heard it I thought of her instantly. Minus the pink RV. Maybe you should buy one jerk! So today as I sit in my little Statesboro, GA home I want all my little nomads in my life to know how much I admire each of you. You might have taken the long way, only because God has led you that way, but each place is an adventure. My parents made me take that road when they made that horrible :) decision to move to Georgia and take me away from all I knew. I would never have met many of my dear friends and I wouldn't be married to Greg and my precious Kennedy would not exist! I want you all to know that I enjoy walking through your lives with you. I enjoy each step you take as it brings you closer and closer to your dreams. My you always reach for the plan God has for you! I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
for some of us, the long way is the only way. and China was a very very long way.
i'm not done nomading. or being a gypsy. i just don't know what the next nomadic step will be.
hey Courtney-when are you gonna come visit me??
I am always looking forward to a good Liza nomadic step! It is always a fun suprise to see what is next! :)
Post a Comment